Great Victorian Swim Series
Cousins Tours & Travel Great Victorian Swim Series 2017/18
The Great Victorian Swim Series is a not for profit “club” promoting fitness, fun, camaraderie & competition among swimmers and supporters of the Victorian open water swim community. For a small annual registration fee you will receive many benefits while helping to raise funds for Victorian Life Saving Clubs. Join the GVSS club now!
When entering the series you can create your own club. If you swim with a group or club and are NOT a member of a Swimming Victoria or Masters Swimming Victoria club then you can choose to create your own club and compete for the GVSS SV MSV Club Champion award. Of course if you are a member of a Swimming Victoria or Maters Club your points go towards your club score. All GVSS swimmers are eligible for the individual awards.
- · Short course (2k or less)
- · Short course Non-Wetsuit (2k or less)
- · Long course (over 2.5k)
- · Long course Non-Wetsuit (over 2.5k)
- · Supporter/cheer squad
- 09 Dec 17/ Brighton LSC Open Water Swim * NEW EVENT
- 17 Dec 17/Williamstown Open Water challenge and Swim Vic Open Water champs.- GVSS events 1.2k & 2.5k
- 26 Dec 17/ Point Leo Swim Classic 1.2k & 2.5k
- 30 Dec 17/ Rip View Pt Lonsdale 1.4k & 3.8k
- 06 Jan 18/ Jan Juc Danger 1000 & more Dangerous 2.5k
- 19 Jan 18/Mornington Twilight Swim 1.2k
- 26 Jan 18/Mt Martha Australia Day 1.2k & 5k
- 28 Jan 18/ Ocean Grove
- 17 Feb 18/ Cerberus HMB 1.2k & 2.5k
- Sorrento date TBC
- 25 Feb 18/Jalna Big Bay Swim 3.2k
- Twilight end of season presentation party. date TBC
* The WOW Challenge also has a public entry 5km and Kids 750m. The 1.2km and 2.5km WOW events are part of the Series. The Victorian Open Water Championships is held at Williamstown Beach in conjunction with the WOW Challenge, and all entrants into the Victorian Open Water Championship 5km and 10km events must be Swimming Victoria or Masters Swimming Victoria members.
Swimmers entered in the Non Wetsuit category must wear the series bathers.
Final series points will be based on your 6 best results for the short course, best of 5 for the long course
Dates of participating events subject to change
About the Swim Series
The "Great Victorian Swim Series" is an ocean swim series for the thousands of recreational swimmers who take part in individual swims over summer. The aim of the series is to encourage more people to be active and take part in these great community events that help raise money for our surf life saving clubs.
Entry to the series is simple and you get some great gear and the chance to win heaps more, even if you're not a fast swimmer who is vying for a series win. There are lots of spot prizes as well, including a swim trip to Europe 2018. You must be present at the presentation party to qualify for the travel prizes.
How to enter:
- To register click here
- Entry to the series costs only $47
- entry includes:
- The option to purchase Catfish series bathers at an amazing $25 per pair. (additional series apparel available for purchase)
- A long sleeve series hoodie.
- Sun Visor or cap
- Complimentary invitation to end of season presentation party.
- Series results updated after each race.
- Eligibility for series placings and great prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each category.
- Eligibility for spot prizes.
Competitors need to register for the series by 31 December 2017 Enter early to guarantee series hoodie and option to purchase series bathers for an amazing $25. There is no requirement to complete a minimum number of events, you don't have to do any races to win the travel prizes!
2017/18 series bathers
It is the responsibility of individuals to enter participating races in the series in addition to the series itself.
Prizes have been generously donated by Cousins Tours & Travel, Light on Landscape, Swimming Victoria & Masters Swimming Victoria
The top 19 competitors in each category will receive placing points and each competitor after 19th place will receive 1 point for participation (excludes DNS and DNF results).
The scoring system for the series gives everyone a chance to finish amongst the top places.
The swim series is divided into the following seven categories for both Male and Female.
Age at 08 December 2017.
Ages: 12 to 17, 18 to 29, 30 to 39, 40 to 49, 50 to 59, 60 to 69 & 70+
Short Course (swims that are 2km or less)
Long Course (swims 2.5k or longer )
Swimming Victoria prize categories - details to be advised
Masters Swimming Victoria open water club championship
If you are a member of a masters swimming club select your club when registering. Your series points will be allocated to help your club become MSV open water club champions.
If you are not a member - consider joining now. For MSV website click here
Points and Scoring
Each race in the Swim Series earns you points into the overall score for the series. You are only competing against people in your own category.
To be eligible for category and spot prizes, competitors must register for the series before 31 December 2017.
Points are awarded for entrants in each swim as follows from 20 points down to 1 point based on their placing in the event. (male & female in each category awarded points)
For example 1st = 20pts, 2nd = 19pts, 3rd = 18pts, 4th = 17pts, 5th = 16pts ...down to 1 pt.
All competitors receive a minimum of 1 point for each event for participation.
Final series points will be based on your 6 best results (short course) 5 best results (long course)
If you swim twice in two age categories on the same day then the registered age category will apply. ( eg Open and age Category )
The series is open to swimmers, supporters and the very important towel and bag holders.
You automatically qualify for series points once you have registered for the series. Everyone registering for the series is eligible for spot prizes - not compulsory to compete in the swims. To win one of the travel prizes you must be at the Presentation party draw.
Races with Different Lengths:
You will only be awarded points in the category you have entered. i.e Short Course, Long Course, non-wetsuit. You can enter more than one category.
Terms and Conditions of point scoring are subject to change.
To be eligible for the prizes in the Swim Series you need to register before 31 December 2017.
Results - 2017/18
Short Course - Wetsuit
Long Course - Wetsuit
Short Course - Non Wetsuit
Long Course - Non Wetsuit
Congratulations and thanks to all of you that support the clubs and swims - together with Swimming Victoria & Masters Swimming Victoria, Catfish and all participating surf clubs we hope you all have a great swim season!
- Travel Prize - everyone registered for the series is entered into the draw (you need to be at presentation party to win a travel prize) . Swim trip to Europe 2018 donated by Cousins Tours & Travel.
- Prizes for first 3 in each category.
- Plenty of generous spot prizes donated by our sponsors.
- Spot prize to be drawn at each participating swim (you must be present at the event to be eligible for this prize).
- Swimming Victoria prizes
- Masters Swimming Victoria prizes
If you or your company would like to be part of the swim series as a sponsor we would love to hear from you. Help us make the swim series bigger and better for 2017-18 - click here to contact us.
Please support our sponsors